Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Collegiate Maneuvers


Meet Jake Castile, son of a snooty French mother and a father that was a well-known matador many moons ago in his native country, Spain.The story follows the dashing college student through three different colleges and many, many cringe-inducing, drunken antidotes. Jake is a somewhat likeable person but he’s also immature, confused, sneaky and extremely fickle. Sometimes you just want to shake him and say, “Dude, you’re a freakin’ mess. You need to get your act together !”. During the first half of the book, I was riveted and could barely put it down but during the last half, I began to really tire of Jake’s shitty attitude toward life and continual drunken escapades.

When Jake is back home in Queens and between colleges once again, he meets Chase, a fey, good-looking, rich playboy that instantly falls in love with Jake so hard that he buys Jake a BMW and hands him his own unlimited platinum card before he sends him off to college again.

Yeah, right...
  
This book was well written and interesting but I have to say that I didn’t care for the main character (much). I absolutely know I wouldn’t be friends with Jake in real life. It will be interesting to see what John Lindo comes up with next.

* I have to say that the first thing that attracted me to this book was the fantastic retro-style cover-art. Somebody needs to track the illustrator down and hire him while they can still get him relatively cheap before he's discovered by the right people.

Rating: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment